Wesley has contributed to the following mission work:
- efforts in Tanzania which included building a clinic, school/church building and a well.
- Elm Park Ministries and their day camp.
- the Wesley Youth Basketball Team
- the Maine Economic Ministry in the form of Christmas gifts and then gently used items.
- Imagine No Malaria events which helped the NE Conference raise $1 million to fight malaria in Africa.
- Mission trips to Haiti, Guatemala, New Orleans area to help rebuild after Hurricane Katrina, to New York City after Hurricane Sandy and to other states after flooding.
Current Local Mission work
Some highlights for our current mission work in the Worcester community.
Wesley COmmunity Suppers
The Mission Committee and UMW Sarah Circle ran the first Community Supper in October, 2013. Since then the Mission committee has continued to find volunteers and improve on the art of preparing a meal for the community. The D’Acri family have lead many of the suppers, as well as other groups within Wesley including, UMW, Esther Circle, the Ghanaian Association and the Youth Group. The average number of meals served per month in 2018 was 117.
Interfaith Hospitality Network (IHN)
Wesley also donates and participates in the Interfaith Hospitality Network (IHN), which shelters recently homeless families. For years, area churches housed the families, and now they are able to stay in a home that was purchased on June St. in Worcester. Now the Mission Committee finds volunteers from Wesley to provide support and coverage (5:30 pm to 6:30 am) during two weeks each year. Our committee provides Hope for Housing with gift cards to buy food for those two weeks, and makes an annual contribution to the overall IHN operation.
Habitat for Humanity
We hold a Habitat for Humanity Build Day on a Saturday in the spring. This year it will be on June 1st, 2019.
Abby’s House is a shelter for battered and homeless women and their children. We also give them personal care items and things for their thrift shop.
Other mission Activities
- Youth Group mission trips
- Stand Up for Kids
- Worcester Fellowship
- Advent gift boxes for shelters during December
- Worcester Fellowship, an outdoor ministry for the homeless and others. They provide a worship service, lunch and personal care items every Sunday, and a drop-in center on Thursday afternoons.
The Missions Committee meets 3rd Thursday of every month except July and August, 6:00pm
Contact Betsy Pennino for more information.